Mark it on your calendar, November 24th will be a day of great deals and tired feet. Whether you’re going out to shop or doing it online, today will be the day of deals you won’t want to miss out on. The term Black Friday originated from Philadelphia in the early fifties. Since then the Holiday has grown big time and online shopping is making searching for a bargain ultra-convenient. We figured since you’re already celebrating American Thanksgiving, you might as well take advantage of their retail deals (that have recently come to Canada) as well.
Here are some tips;
1. Do your research: Amazon has already begun releasing Black Friday offers, and we expect other brands to follow and initiate their deals before 24th November as well - so keep your eyes peeled.
2. Divide and Conquer: Chances are you’ll want to hit more than one store on Black Friday. But quantities of advertised products will be limited, it’s fun to shop with pals, but you’re more likely to snag scarce deals if you fan out.
3. Don't assume a Doorbuster is a deal: Does an ad for "Laptops under $100!" have you salivating? Doorbuster items often sell for below a retailer's costs just to lure customers, but they are often non-brand-name models, sometimes created specifically for Black Friday with lower specs than a standard manufacturer's line. So make sure that prospective purchase has everything you want.
4. Always ask about the return policy: Since return policies have grown so complex, make sure you really want something before dropping that kind of cash.
5. Skip it and Stay at Home: If you don’t want to brave the crowds, there are still bargains to be had. Many retailers take part in Cyber Monday November 27th, where they often have just as good of deals.
If you were to lazy to go out Black Friday, there’s always Cyber Monday, and we promise you don’t have to even get dressed to get these deals. It used to be an individual event in its own right, until 2015, when it became an extension of the Black Friday weekend. Which works for us because if you can get all your Christmas shopping done in one weekend, even better.
We've done the research for you, here are some of the best deals of Black Friday 2017:
- The Source
- The Bay
- Canadian Tire
- Shoppers Drug Mart
- Giant Tiger
- Bed Bath & Beyond
- Best Buy
Side note: a word of advice for our newly Canadian pals: be careful while being lured to go across the border and shop. Remember, you have got to be in the USA for more than 24 hours to lay claim to $200 in tax-exempt goods and for more than 48 hours before you can bring back $800. With the current dollar situation and adding gas, hotel and food into the budget we suggest staying within Canada. If you really want to try for some of the states deal look online, or wait until Cyber Monday.